Saturday, April 17, 2010

Eat Stop Eat

I have begun a program called "Eat Stop Eat." I have been aware of this program for awhile, but I have not started it until recently. While I have not read the online book, I used to be subscribed to the list serve. I believe that I am well-informed enough that I can safely follow the program, I have done research, and it has several great reviews on reputable diet review sites.

Eat Stop Eat allows you to eat whatever you want to eat, most of the time. That is the "Eat" part. Two non-consecutive days a week you fast - water, black coffee, diet soda and tea are all acceptable on your fasting days. That is the stop.

To maintain and build muscle, you must weight train, so that your body will use fat stores instead of muscle. The program will not put you into starvation mode, you will not binge after, you will not pass out from hunger. All of that is myth from the diet industry.

Fasting a day or two a week is surprisingly easy. Although it goes against conventional wisdom, it is scientifically backed, and actually makes logical sense: if you eat less, you will lose weight. If the average person eats 1500 calories a day, then saving twice that (3000 calories) a week can significantly effect your weight-loss efforts. (remember: 3500calories is 1lb)

Now I am not doing this without eating healthy on my eating days. I feel like Eat Stop Eat is a tool, but it cannot replace nutrition and common sense.

This program is probably not for people with health problems (aka diabetes) or who are pregnant...

Weight-loss to date: down to 148.8lbs from 157lbs.
Current BMI: 26.4 (YAY!)

No comments:

Post a Comment