Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Breaking the Coffee Dependency


I regularly drink coffee. I buy one almost everyday between my classes, sometimes more than once a day.

My regular order is a Grande Non-fat Mocha with flavored syrup. According to Starbucks, my "little" indulgence is between 280 to 350 calories per cup(remember 1lb=3500cals).

If I get once drink 5 times a week, it costs me around 1500 calories. That isn't even considering the pastries that I sometimes get if I forget breakfast.

If I replaced that morning coffee with tea instead, it would help break my caffeine dependency, but also help me lose an extra pound every two and a half weeks.

In terms of money, I would save a significant amount as well. I have a limited budget, so the extra $4.50 per coffee could be used in a much better way. I could use that money to buy painting/school supplies, or organic produce, or new gym clothes, or going into savings (oh my!)....

So this morning I made myself a cup of green tea instead of stopping at the coffee shop. I didn't even miss my 350 calorie mocha.

Weight-loss to date: 153.9 from 157
Current BMI: 27.3

Image from Starbucks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment