Friday, June 18, 2010

The Trouble with Travel

The trouble with travel is that everything changes, and routine is forgotten. How can someone expect to lose weight when nothing around them is familiar?

I have traveled a lot in my life; I am very lucky. Last year, I traveled to Italy, and came back close to 15lbs heavier. In 2 days, I am going on the very same trip again. This time I will be prepared to lose weight instead of gain it.

Trouble 1: Where is the scale?
Resolution: Bring a tape measure instead!

Unfortunately, a travel scale has not been invented yet. I have seriously considered packing my scale in my bag with me, but with all of the weight requirements that airlines have right now, it just isn't practical. Weight is not the only way to measure progress.

Instead of packing the scale, I am packing a tape measure. It is light, small and measures my progress even better than a scale. Instead of watching a seemingly arbitrary number drop, I can watch the inches around my waist and my thighs shrink. My trip is a long one, so this is a satisfactory way to travel and track.


Trouble 2:
Iffy Internet with online weight-loss program
Resolution: Bring a notebook.

While online programs make tracking everything easier, you can still track with a pen and paper. I intend to bring a notebook and take it everywhere. If I eat anything, I will write it down and estimate how many calories it contained. Just the act of writing it down will help.

Tip: Since eating out is a common occurrence on vacations, add an extra 100 calories after every meal eaten out. This extra allowance will take into account the extra oils that are hidden in many restaurant meals. You can do this even when you aren't on vacation!


Trouble: No gym!
Resolution: Bring a pair of running shoes and buy equal sized water bottles.

You can't take the gym with you, but a pair of shoes is definitely do-able. If you just remember to get out and run for a couple of minutes, not only will you see more of your destination, you will end up with more energy and a couple extra calories burned.

The water bottles act as hydration, and as weights. If you fill up matching water bottles you can use them as impromptu dumbbells. If you need more weight than a 1 liter bottle, you can either bring emptied and squished 2 liter soda bottles to fill, or go find them where you are to use. In the end, just leave them there! (preferably in a recycling bin)


Trouble: I'm hungry but it isn't meal time!
Resolution: Find a local market, and bring some snacks along.

When you find a market, you find all of the local fruits and vegetables. A grocery store would be a good choice also. This way you can buy some fruits and have quick snacks that you know are healthy and don't require refrigeration!

I went out and bought 15 of my favorite energy bars and a handful of fruit leathers. This wasn't cheap, but since last year there was a major focus on gelato and pizza, I need something healthier to eat when I get hungry and everyone else wants calorie laden foods. Throwing one in my bag is easy enough and my snacks are only 100 calories each so are much better choices than the local "fast foods."


If you have any other ideas that would make weight-loss on a trip easier, write it in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Those are great tips! For me, the strategy is get moving!
    I would add walk as much as possible. When you're traveling you want to see the sights! Why not skip the bus, cab or subway and walk where ever you want to go!
    Some places (like Paris) have bikes you can rent to ride around the city. That's a great way to sneak in exercise. If you're at the beach, go for a swim, walk/jog along the water. Lots of fun ways to sneak in exercise!

    ReplyDelete